Hello, my name is Tim. I mostly work as a back end / platform engineer professionally. On development side I’ve some open source projects on Github, these are mostly Go packages and apps.
- Name: Tim O’Brien
- Email: email@example.com
Compose.io 2016 - 2019, Remote (based in UK): Platform Engineer
High Availability cloud database services. Designed/programmed services to provision distrubted database deployments. Created platform tools for managing clusters.
Quantics 2014 - 2016, Wellington NZ: App developer
Developing web app for data analysis of New Zealand wholesale real time Electricity market.
Endace 2012 - 2013, Auckland NZ: Database Engineer
Database focused engineer using Postgres DB containing traffic flows for network monitoring appliance.
NZX 2012, Wellington NZ: Data modeling/engineering (contract)
KEA3 2011, Wellington NZ: Linux systems (contract)
Fastbase 2010, Wellington NZ: DB optimization (contract)
Electricity Comission NZ 2009 - 2011, Wellington NZ: Data modeling/engineering (contract)
Market Place Company 2007 - 2009, Wellington NZ: Online trading market developer
- Cloud providers: AWS, GCP.
- Infrastructure as code: Terraform / Chef.
- Metric collection/Monitoring Telegraf, Prometheus and Grafana.
- Kubernetes deployment, service and ingress configuration.
- Docker builds, Docker-compose, optimization of Dockerfiles.
- Databases: Postgresql, Mysql, Mongodb, Elasticsearch, Redis, Etcd, Cassandra.
- Linux containers, bridges, virtual memory management, limits, strace, security.
- Networking: OpenVSwitch, Iptables, load balancers, IPV4 networking and VPC AWS networking.
- Github and CI/CD tools such as Travis.
- Go: RPC/REST, database, Docker container automation, tests and benchmarks.
- Python programming: database, metric collection, service health checks.
- Shell scripting: functions, sed, grep, uniq, sort etc… for automation and tooling.
- Github: https://github.com/timob
Computer Science BSc,