Hello, my name is Tim. I mostly work as a back end / platform engineer professionally. But enjoy working anywhere in the application stack. My open source projects, on Github, are mostly Go packages and apps.
- Name: Tim O’Brien
- Email: email@example.com
Compose.io 2016 - 2019, Remote (based in UK): Platform Engineer
High Availability cloud database services. Designed/programmed services to provision distrubted database deployments. Created platform tools for managing clusters.
Quantics 2013 - 2016, Wellington NZ: App developer
Developing web app for data analysis of New Zealand wholesale real time Electricity market.
Endace 2012 - 2013, Auckland NZ: Database Engineer
Database focused engineer using Postgres DB containing traffic flows for network monitoring appliance.
NZX 2012 - 2012, Wellington NZ: Data modeling/engineering (contract)
KEA3 2011 - 2011, Wellington NZ: Linux systems (contract)
Fastbase 2010 - 2010, Wellington NZ: DB optimization (contract)
Electricity Comission NZ 2009 - 2011, Wellington NZ: Data modeling/engineering (contract)
Market Place Company 2007 - 2009, Wellington NZ: Online trading market developer
- Go programming: network, database, gRPC/Protobuf rpc services, health checks, metric collection, web crawling, reflection, Docker container interaction, test, benchmark, profiling.
- Python programming: database, metric collection, service health checks.
- Ruby: RSpec, Mongoid ORM, Web services / Front End and Customer API.
- Shell scripting: functions, sed, grep, uniq, sort etc…
- Git collaboration merging, patching, rebasing and integration with CI/CD.
- IPV4 networking ARP, DHCP, UDP, TCP, DNS, SSH, HTTP 1.1, SMTP, libpcap BPF filters.
- C programming: Makefiles, shared libraries, networking.
- Java programming: JNI, Android Activity, Webview.
- Working knowledge of cryptography/hashing.
- Github: https://github.com/timob
Computer Science BSc,